Sustainable Seafood

Over one billion people depend on seafood as their primary source of protein. However, overfishing is one of the biggest threats facing our oceans today. Roughly 90 per cent of the world’s fish stocks are now fully fished or overfished according to the most recent report by the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). This leaves just 10 per cent of fish stocks underfished – a number that has decreased almost continuously since 1974.

Per capita fish consumption has been on the rise since the 1960s – when it averaged 9.9kg – to over 20kg in 2014. As the global population continues to grow, the need for sustainable and healthy protein sources is key and seafood will play an important role. Resources from our world’s oceans are not as unlimited as we once thought. Choosing to eat Ocean Wise recommended sustainable seafood helps to relieve the pressure on overfished species and ensures that we will be able to continue to enjoy seafood for generations to come. Look for the Ocean Wise Seafood symbol when buying seafood to ensure you’re making the best choice for our oceans.

Ocean Wise Seafood recommendations are based on 4 criteria. An Ocean Wise Seafood recommended species is:

1.     Abundant and resilient to fishing pressures.
2.     Well managed with a comprehensive management plan based on current research.
3.     Harvested in a method that ensures limited bycatch on non-target and endangered species.
4.     Harvested in ways that limit damage to marine or aquatic habitats and negative interactions with other species.

The Ocean Wise Seafood classification system is based on two categories: Ocean Wise or Not Recommended, simply a good or bad choice for our oceans. Species are regularly updated or reclassified with the latest scientific information. Classifications, including changes to and Ocean Wise Seafood recommendations are provided regularly to Ocean Wise Seafood partners. Learn more about our recommendation policy or find a sustainable seafood option. You can learn more about some of the different fishing and farming techniques from the links below.

Seafood Guide

Seafood Guide

Navigating the world of sustainable seafood can be challenging and difficult. Download and print our handy guide to help you make sustainable seafood purchasing decisions.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Sustainable Seafood


of the world’s assessed fish stocks are currently over-exploited or at full capacity.

4 of 10

4 of every 10 fish caught are bycatch


of the major fish stocks in Canadian waters are considered ‘healthy’


Seafood is the primary source of protein for over one billion people

Get Involved

Are you passionate about the future of our oceans? We’re always looking for ambassadors to help support our mission. Get connected and join us in the sustainable seafood movement today.